Mr. Marc A. Levy
Deputy Director , Center for International Earth Science Information Network (CIESIN) , The Earth Institute
Director, GRID3 , Center for International Earth Science Information Network (CIESIN)
61 Route 9W
PO Box 1000
Palisades, NY 10964
BIOGRAPHY: Marc Levy is Deputy Director of CIESIN (the Center for International Earth Science Information Network), and Director of GRID3 (Geo-Referenced Infrastructure and Demographic Data for Development). He explores new ways to harness interdisciplinary spatial data to better manage complex risk and achieve sustainable development. He has served on many expert bodies convened by the IPCC, U.S. National Academy of Sciences, World Economic Forum, and others. In his work as GRID3 Director he manages a $15m program funded by the Gates Foundation and the UK Department for International Development. GRID3 works with developing countries, primarily in Africa, to deploy data science innovations solutions for mapping populations, settlements and development infrastructure at very high resolution and low cost.
- 2018 Environmental Performance Index (EPI)
- DIP: Interaction Research in Complex Informal Learning Environments (IRCILE)
- Energy/Water Nexus Knowledge Discovery Framework (EWN-KDF)
- Global and Regional Environmental Assessments
- GRID Mapping Portfolio Support
- Haiti Regeneration Initiative / Cote Sud Initiative
- ITAD - SADA Millennium Villages Project External Evaluation
- National Infrastructure and Facility Inventory (NIFI)
- Planning and Resilience in East Africa through Policy, Adaptation, Research (PREPARED)
- Planning Grant for the Africa Soil Information Service (AfSIS) Phase II
- Scoping Study: Design Options for a Global Sustainable Farming Data Clearinghouse
- The Cote Sud Initiative, including the Millennium Village in Port-a-Piment, Haiti
- WSC-Category 3 Collaborative: America's Water-The Changing Landscape of Risk, Competing Demands and Climate
- Mapping for Health in DRC - Scoping
- GRID3 COVID-19 Support Scale Up
7 PUBLICATIONS ON COLUMBIA | ACADEMIC COMMONS
- Sampling bias does not exaggerate climate–conflict claims
- Using satellite data to develop environmental indicators
- Migration and risk: net migration in marginal ecosystems and hazardous areas
- Assessment of Select Climate Change Impacts on U.S. National Security
- What is the role for conservation organizations in poverty alleviation in the world’s wild places?
- Malaria Stratification, Climate, and Epidemic Early Warning in Eritrea
- Anthropogenic Drivers of Ecosystem Change: an Overview
Venter, Oscar, Eric W Sanderson, Ainhoa Magrach, James R Allan, Jutta Beher, Kendall R Jones, Hugh P Possingham, William F Laurance, Peter Wood, Balazs M Fekete, Marc A. Levy, and James EM Watson (2016b). “Sixteen years of change in the global terrestrial human footprint and implications for biodiversity conservation". Nature Communications 7. doi: 10.1038/ncomms12558.
O'Neill, Brian C., Elmar Kriegler, Kris Ebi, Eric Kemp-Benedict, Keywan Riahi, Dale Rothman, Bas van Ruijven, Detlef van Vuuren, Joern Birkmann, Kasper Kok, Marc Levy, Richard Moss, and William Solecki (2015). “The Roads Ahead: Narratives for Shared Socioeconomic Pathways describingWorld Futures in the 21st Century". Global Environmental Change. doi: 10.1016 j.gloenvcha.2015.01.004.
Bas van Ruijven, Marc Levy; Arun Agrawal; Frank Biermann; Joern Birkmann; Timothy R. Carter; Kristie L Ebi; Matthias Garschagen; Bryan Jones; Roger Jones; Eric Kemp-Benedict; Marcel Kok; Kasper Kok; Maria Carmen Lemos; Paul L Lucas; Ben Orlove; Shonali Pachauri; Tom Parris; Anand Patwardhan; Arthur Petersen; Benjamin L. Preston; Jesse Ribot; Dale S Rothman; Vanessa J Schweizer, "Enhancing the relevance of new scenarios for climate change impacts, adaptation and vulnerability research," Climatic Change, 2014 (122,3) 481-494 doi:10.1007/s10584-013-0931-0.
Neil Adger, Juan Pulhin, Jon Barnett, Geoff Dabelko, Grete K. Hovelsrud, Marc A. Levy, Úrsula Oswald-Spring, Coleen Vogel, "Human Security," Chapter 12 in Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Working Group II, March 2014.
Jones, Kate, Nikki Patel, Marc A. Levy, John Gittelman, Deborah Balk, Adam Storeygard and Peter Daszak, “Global Trends in Emerging Infectious Diseases,” Nature 451 21 February 2008, 990-994. DOI 10.1038/nature06536.
Abayomi, Kobi, Andrew Gelman and Marc A. Levy, “Diagnostics for Multivariate Imputations,” Applied Statistics, 57, 3 June 2008, 273-291.
Peter M. Haas, Robert O. Keohane and Marc A. Levy, eds., Institutions for the Earth: Sources of Effective International Environmental Protection (MIT Press, 1993).