Mr. Andrew Miller
Assistant Director, Grants Management & International Operations , Office of Finance and Administration , The Earth Institute
Hogan Hall, B Level
Mail Code MC3277
New York, NY 10025
Andrew Miller is Assistant Director, Grants Management and International Operations at The Earth Institute, Columbia University. In this role he oversees all pre-award grant management tasks for the Morningside campus portion of The Earth Institute. He also writes the biweekly grant opportunity bulletins and coordinates EI's Interdisciplinary Research Facilitation Group.
Between 2013 to mid-2016, Andrew was The Earth Institute's Assistant Director, International Accounts and Operations. During that time, he led a team of financial/legal analysts with financial and administrative management in seven international affiliate offices.
Between mid-2008 to 2013, Andrew was Senior Manager, Finance and Administration at The Earth Institute's Agriculture and Food Security Center. In that role he assisted the Director with project management of several large, international research projects. He also provided financial and administrative management for the Center's team of 20-25.
Andrew earned his M.P.A. in Environmental Science and Policy in May 2008 from CU's School of International and Public Affairs.
Prior to earning his M.P.A, Andrew earned a B.S. in Biology and Natural Science from Midland Lutheran College (May 2005) and worked for two years as an Analytical Chemist at Novartis Consumer Health.
Andrew's expertise and experience includes:
- Finding grant opportunities and providing training for finding grant opportunities
- Interdisciplinary Research Facilitation
- Review of terms and conditions of grant agreements/contracts/MOUs
- Provide expert guidance on pre-award and post-award operations and grant implementation process
- Provide trainings on policies/processes/tools
- Problem solving throughout the sponsored projects lifecycle
- Represent EI on University’s International Administrators Working Group
- Write due diligence reports on potential international donors and partners
- Website development and maintenance (of grants.ei.columbia.edu)
- Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) Green Associate
- Columbia University Certificate in Sponsored Projects